Saturday, April 10, 2010

My husband is a rock star!

Earlier this week my hubby ran his very first consecutive 3.1 miles ever in his whole life!  I'm so proud. 

We were on treadmills at our gym on Wednesday and I had just hopped on to do a little two miler easy run.  It was our first time back to the gym after getting over a fast-and-furious bout with the stomach flu, so I decided I was going to take it slow and just do a 4mph jog rather than do intervals.  He chose to do the same, and when we made it to the two mile mark he got so excited that he decided he was going to shoot for 3.1.  He usually does his Couch to 5k intervals at a 5mph and ends up having sore knees and getting tired easily.  But when he ran "slow" with me at 4mph, he said he felt great the whole time and wanted to see how far he could make it. 

The actual run was rather uneventful, as treadmill runs tend to be, but when we finished he was so excited!  He's been told by a couple different doctors that he'd never be able to run.  Once in 6th grade because he had bad knees, and once recently because of his weight.  He proved them wrong and he was so thrilled!  He told me then that the longest he'd ever run before that was during PE when they made everyone do 1.5 miles.  He even thanked me for encouraging him to get started and said he's ready to actually sign up for a race now.

So stay tuned, ladies and gentleman!  There should be some fun news about Team Congdon signing up for some 5ks this summer. :D

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to your husband! I'm running my first 5k on the 24th and haven't quite got past 2.3 miles yet. I'm hoping to make it to 3.1 miles in the next 2 weeks before race day. With God and adrenaline it should be possible!

    ReplyDelete