Friday, August 7, 2009

Week 3 and a fitness update

I did Week3/Day2 today at the gym. I'm feeling really strong and continue to be surprised at myself for not quitting yet. lol. I have a strong history of giving up on physical fitness/sports/etc. It feels really nice to still be going strong so far, though. I haven't been doing weights for the last two weeks though, and I'm eager to get back to them. I get all confused about how many days a week I can/should work which muscle groups and my OCD perfectionist little brain just decides to not do anything. Oye! Gotta' get past that SOON! How about NOW?

In related news, I had my monthly weigh and measure this week. It spread over the course of a couple days but I was pretty excited about the results. I've lost 4 pounds since last month and 5.5 inches. Yay! Since I started working out back in September I've lost 16 pounds total and 26 inches. The funny part of this whole thing, is that since April I've technically "lost" 8 pounds... so how does that math work out? Well... the weight I've been losing since April has actually been the same 4 pounds. I was at 198 the first month at LA Fitness, then lost 4 pounds. Then gained it back, then lost it again. Why do I keep getting stuck here?

I think it must have something to do with not being consistent about working out, not getting enough sleep, and not having changed my diet yet. It's amazing that I've been able to lost 16 pounds just by being active. If I count back farther than when I started in September 2008, back to right after Ethan was born, I've actually lost 56 pounds just by being active.

So - I'm going to be tweaking some things in my diet and trying to get to bed at a consistent time. Today I was thinking about it and realized that by eating and sleeping so erratically, I'm actually shooting myself in the foot and sabotaging all my efforts. If it was someone else sabotaging my efforts I'd get all stubborn and kick their butt. Well... here I go - ready to kick my own butt!

I'm really looking forward to being under 190... I haven't been below that number since I was a sophomore in college. And my long-term goal is to be under 170 before we have another kiddo. We're starting to get the "baby itch" so I'd better get my rear in gear!

Anyone have any ideas/tips for getting my eating under control?

2 comments:

  1. Great Job Becca Sue.

    I'm not an expert at the eating thing either but one thing you might try to do that I learned in Weight Watchers is to add some things. Like they want you to have 5 servings for fruits and veggies a day. One thing that happens is when you start adding a bunch of those is that you are too full for other stuff that is bad for you. So maybe don't think of it as giving up on mac & cheese but by the time you eat an orange and a bowl of broccoli you only have room for half as much pasta. And I only usually got 3 of 4 servings a day but it still helped quite a bit. I could go on about adding a bit more fibre and protien which is something they also taught me which just makes everything stick with you longer and evens out your blood sugar a lot. Ok that's enough blabbing ;) Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great advice, Brenda! I really like that. I think I will start with the 5 servings of fruits and veggies and see where it takes me. :)

    ReplyDelete