Friday, October 23, 2009

Getting my miles in

I've been able to get two runs in so far this week, and thought it was time to share about it. I technically have four "extra" weeks in my training time, as the schedule I'm working from is a 16 week-er and there were 20 weeks between my 10k and the half.

The first week after the 10k I gave my legs a break from the pounding of running and spent some time walking/hiking at the Glendoveer trail one afternoon, and then doing weights and the recumbent bike at the gym two other days. The personal trainer I've been seeing taught me how to use the Assisted Pull-up machine (at my request) and I'm well on my way to acheiving my newest fitness goal: get strong enough to perform 10 unassisted pull-ups. Right now the machine is supporting 112 lbs of my body weight and I'm able to do a set of 10, then two sets of 8. I have no idea how long it'll take - but it's a fun little "side project" that finally got me excited about chest/back day at the gym.

(Aside: Did I really just have that monologue?!? Who IS this girl writing my blog???)

This week I was able to get all three of my weight training days in and have done a 2 mile run and a 3 mile run so far. I even found myself increasing the speed to 5mph (a 12 min mile) this evening during the 3 miler. I was doing fartleks (random increases in speed) and I think I did a half mile at that speed and then moved around between that and 4.3. It's fun to see myself getting faster, and feeling my body WANT to go faster and actually being comfortable there.

I'm hoping to get one more run in this weekend - hopefully a long one at 5 miles?

No comments:

Post a Comment