Tuesday, November 10, 2009

H1N1 Vaccination Clinic - Rockwood

It occurred to me this week that my Muffin-selling plan might have a couple kinks;

1.) Several of the people who'd love to support me don't live close enough to actually get the muffins.

2.) I have a bunch of buddies who are watching what they eat - and buying a bunch of muffins doesn't really help them eat healthy.

But, I've found a great option for those who've been inspired by my story and would like to support me, but just don't have a use for muffins. :) Here's my genius plan...

My friend Jenn is involved in helping coordinate an H1N1 Vaccination Clinic in Rockwood, Oregon this month. The clinic is going to offer 1000 vaccinations to low-income and underinsured Oregonians who might not otherwise have access to it. At this outreach they plan on offering meals to some of the patients. They're currently planning for 500 meals.

What does that have to do with muffins? Well, last month my Mom and brother joined forces to buy 200 muffins and asked me to find someone who "needed them." I discovered - as I searched for options - that most shelters weren't able to take home-baked goods. Then I was delighted to connect with my friend Jenn and learn that they could use some muffins for their clinic.

I've been baking up a storm and have already been able to pass along 7 dozen (that's 84... yes I used a calculator) of those 200. I plan on busting out the rest of them this week so they'll be ready for the clinic. So far the plan is for them to have everything gathered so they can be ready to set the clinic up as soon as they have the vaccines. Jenn said they'll have about a week's notice and it could be any day!

I'd love to be able to send 300 more muffins along to the clinic so they have enough for all the meals they're planning.

So if any of you have been wanting to support me but not had any use for muffins, now you can get a 2-for-1 deal! For every $1 muffin, 40 cents goes directly into baking supplies, and 60 cents goes to support me in my half-marathon trip.

If you'd like more information, or would like to put in an order for some "Medical Muffins" just shoot me an email (beccasuester@gmail.com), connect with me on Facebook, or leave me a comment here!

No comments:

Post a Comment