Friday, December 11, 2009

A Calorie-Free Way to Cheer Me On

Alternate blog titles:

Because really, even the most zealous fan can only eat so many muffins...
Fill your stockings with Cute this Christmas...
The Cute Has Arrived...
Mmm... Crochet Animals... *Nom nom...

You get the idea. :)

Finally, a calorie-free way for people to support me in my training has arrived, and it's too cute for words. I got the idea to make some little crochet animals while dragging my poor husband through a craft store. Daniel thinks it's a long shot, but I figured it was worth the try. Worst case scenario, Ethan has a nice little set of animals he can carry around on his adventures with him.

So far I've been able to make three little cuteys and one larger Kitty. Ethan has tested them and given his full approval. Meaning, he has crawled into my lap as I've finished each one and said, "ah dun? mine?" Then after playing with his little friends for a while, he sneaks off into the laundry room and hides them behind the vacuum. He's so tricky.

Here they are!

The Three Amigos & a Huge Kitty

So how can you get your hands on some of this cute? I'll be auctioning off these first four originals this weekend, and then taking orders for newly made ones as well. I'll be taking orders through the 20th (depending on how many orders I get), and mailing them out by Monday morning the 21st - so they'll arrive just in time for Christmas.

I'm also going to be trying my hand at what I'm going to call Running Buddies... little crochet animals all dressed up for a run. Complete with shoes and running skirts. Cuz' skirts rule. I may even make little running shoe ornaments. Stay tuned.

For now - you can hop on over to my Facebook, shoot me an email, or leave a comment here letting me know if you'd like to bid on one of these original guys or order your own custom cuteness.

*****************

Before I go, I had to narrate this whole craft store experience for you, as it was quite comical.

Last weekend Daniel made the mistake of consenting to wander with me through a craft store. Though I rarely go to craft stores (maybe once a year), I practically grew up in them. My mom would take one or two trips each week to get supplies for her home business, and my brother and I were always left to wander the aisles and memorize pattern books to keep ourselves from dying from boredom.

So there we were, wandering around looking at yarn. I love to look at the walls of yarn, all the colors. Mmm...

Anyway - there we were wandering around looking at yarn when I came across several books with patterns for little crochet animals. I was overcome with glee, giggles, excitement.

"Look how CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!!!!" I said to Daniel.
"Seriously?" -Daniel
"Oh... nevermind..." -Me, remembering I was talking to a grown man and not a pre-teen girl.

Then a stroke of genius hit me...

"I could make something like this and sell them to raise money for the trip!!"

My grandma Ardis taught me how to crochet when I was a kid. I've made a few blankets throughout my life, but haven't picked up a crochet hook since junior high. I did teach myself to knit in college... long enough to "almost" finish a huge knitted blanket for my Mom (there's a good Christmas gift idea... I could FINISH it.... oooooooh... don't tell). Though I hadn't crocheted in years, I clearly remembered how relaxing it was just to sit and work on a project.

Daniel stared at me sideways and asked, "who wants little crochet animals?"
"Moms! My mom... Moms with little kids... I don't know... Who DOESN'T want these?!" -Me
*Blank Stare -Daniel
"But seriously... there are probably a few people who have wanted to offer their support but are either tired of muffins, or not in the market for muffins. What if I made these little guys?" -Me
*More blank stare -Daniel
"Well... I'll at least put some together and see what comes of it." -Me
"Okay dear. Can we go home now?" -Daniel
*SCREECHING -Ethan

We went home. A couple days went by before I finally asked Daniel if he would reconsider taking me seriously about making little crochet animals. I actually woke up from a dead sleep one morning with all sorts of plans and my own patterns in mind and everything.

"Okay, honey. You just have to remember I'm a DUDE and I just don't get it. But I trust you."

So there you have it. I'd love to be able to show my husband that there is, in fact, a whole segment of society who;
  • Understand my fascination with cute little animals
  • Thinks anything handmade is pretty freaking awesome
  • Loves to see Moms use their skills to bless their family
  • Has been moved by my story and wants to be part of it
  • Completely understand how buying a weird little crochet animal can glorify God
Or maybe there's at least a few of those people. :D

2 comments:

  1. B Sue! Put your stuff up on Etsy.com!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! I am glad I found you! I am a runner too and am having a coll giveaway to help a friend runner!!Please stop by

    ReplyDelete