Thursday, December 24, 2009

Tis the Season!

I'm proud to say that it's Christmas week, and I've done both of my scheduled runs so far.  On Tuesday my friend Jenn joined me at the gym for some upper body strength training, and then we did the treadmills.  She's working her way through the Couch to 5k program, and I did an easy two-mile run.  The rest of my day was full of errand-running and secret-santa-ing and packing in preparation to hit the road that night to arrive in Yakima.  We're spending Christmas with my Mom's family, and Mom flew in from South Dakota.  We haven't seen her since this time last year - so it was one of those "can't miss it!" opportunities.

Then today - Christmas Eve - I joined my Grandpa Howard at his gym here in Yakima.  He directed me towards the treadmills and I put six miles in while watching SuperNanny on one of their fancy Cardio Theaters.  AKA - each treadmill had a little tv connected to it that you could listen to with your own head phones.  I must admit that it's actually difficult to focus on running when you've got all those channels at your disposal.  I did a warm-up mile at 4mph and then played around with speed intervals.  I mainly hovered between 4-5mph, and did some speed intervals at 5.5, 6, and even 7!!!  I ran at 7mph.  I'm truly shocked.  There was some walking involved, but I figured incorpoorating osme walking would help me recover a little faster so I could keep running faster speed intervals.  It was worth it, I ended up finishing in until a hour and a half, even with a few walking breaks. 

Now I just have to make sure to get my 8 miles in this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment